The NTRA Egypt as EMERG’s Chair for 2018 accepted the application of Libya to become a sponsored member of EMERG.
We are very glad to have Lybia back as an EMERG member!
Since 2009 the Euro-Mediterranean Regulators’ Group (EMERG) has undertaken an annual benchmark of its member National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs). The results form the basis for the evaluation of the level of approximation of the southern Mediterranean countries (hereinafter also referred to as MENA countries) with respect to the European Framework for the electronic communications sector and the formulation of the Group’s Annual Work Plan.
There are minor changes in the organization of the 2017 Report compared to the 2016 Benchmark report. The 2017 Report seeks to quantify the rapprochement between MENA and European countries by showing the evolution of individual indicators over time. The use of digitization indices (Network Readiness Index, ITU Development Index) has remained unchanged. Like previous reports information about key performance indicators and trends of the telecom sector has also been collected and an update of the regulatory activities of the EMERG members in 2016 and 2017 is provided.
Chapter 1 of the Report is an introduction. Chapter 2 describes main trends in the telecommunication markets (fixed and mobile) in the EMERG countries based on data provided by EMERG members and other sources such as ITU, the World Bank etc. Chapters 3 to 8 focus on regulatory developments (institutional issues, market entrance conditions, consumer issues etc.) in EMERG countries. Finally, chapter 9 includes Regulatory Fiches from Member States that have participated in the survey.
THE REPORT: Final_EMERG_Benchmark_Report_2017
EURO-MEDITERRANEAN REGULATORS GROUP
WIK Consult GmbH
Outline According to the EMERG Charter, during the plenary assembly the Members have to decide on the following issues, taking into consideration the outcomes from The Contact network (CN) meeting, held in Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina) on 20-21 February 2018: Appointing the new Chairman and the new Vice-Chairman; Appointing the members of the Permanent Secretariat; […]
The EMERG/Contact network meeting is the preparatory meeting for the 2018 EMERG Activities for 2018.
According to the EMERG Charter, the Members have to discuss the following issues:
- Discuss the yearly Benchmarking Report, and approve the draft to be presented to the Plenary Assembly;
- Assess the implementation of the Work-plan and the recommendations and decisions adopted by the Plenary Assembly;
- Ensure and plan the follow-up of these recommendations and decisions;
- Discuss the tasks and rules of procedures of the Secretariat and propose modifications to the Plenary Assembly whenever necessary;
- Follow up on the development, enhancement, and efficient utilization of EMERG website;
- Study the issues of common interest likely to be the object of debates and discussions during the Plenary Assembly;
- Propose any document to be approved and/or published to the Plenary Assembly;
- Propose a draft agenda for the following Plenary Assembly.
In 2018 EMERG also will continue to discuss about EMERG sustainability, considering the outcomes of the Cascais declaration in 2017. The aim is to propose an action plan to the Commission at the Plenary in Cairo (Egypt) heading to a solution that can guarantee the future of the platform after 2019.
Besides, EMERG will collect proposals for the work plan 2018 and volunteers for hosting the workshops and for chairing them as rapporteur.
Last but not least, The CN meeting will collect the volunteers for the Chairmanship 2019 and the members of the Secretariat, considering that AGCOM (as outgoing Chair) and NTRA as Chair 2018 are part of it.